Equine Facilitated Education Programme / Supported Helper Programme Co-Ordinator
Festina Lente Mission Statement
The mission of Festina Lente is to provide a range of integrated training, occupational, learning and employment opportunities to people with disabilities. These services are provided through equestrianism, horticulture and community-based activities with an emphasis on choice, personal development and progression. The services are provided through the following:
- Equestrian Training Programme
- Transition Training Programme
- Festina Lente Riding School
- Equine Assisted Learning
- Equine Facilitated Education Programme
- Therapeutic Riding Service
- Saol Anois Day Service
- Festina Lente Gardens
Festina Lente was established in 1988 and over the years has developed a wide range of equestrian related activities to people of all ages, from diverse backgrounds and with a variety of learning styles. Central to this is the role of the horse and its’ capacity to facilitate each person in their preferred activity or programme.
Job Title: Equine Facilitated Education Programme / Supported Helper Programme Co-ordinator (CSP Supported Position)
Reporting to: ELC Manager
Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer
The principle aim of this position is to support young people at risk of social and / or economic disadvantage focussing on social and emotional learning and those with special needs to acquire the necessary skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to help in an equestrian environment with an aim to build confidence, self – esteem, independence and teamwork. The two main programmes are the Equestrian Facilitated Educational Programme (EFEP) and the Supported Helper Programme. All activities are ground based and do not involve riding the horses.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Your principal duties and responsibilities will be:
- Working with between 1 – 4 young people each morning and afternoon in the following activities:
- Social & Emotional learning horse activities
- Mucking Out
- Bringing Horses to and from the fields
- Preparing feeds and hays
- Developing equine based learning programmes that encompass new learning, variety and personal goals amongst other factors.
- Liaising with relevant personnel from the schools referring the young people, as well as parents/key workers for those attending the Supported Helper Programme
- Maintaining and updating timetables
- Liaising with Accounts on charged activities
- Keeping relevant records as is relevant to the programme
- Ensuring the welfare of horses that are involved in the programmes
- To comply with the Health & Safety requirements of the organisation and of legislation
- To attend staff meetings and training as required
- To build and maintain excellent working relationships with colleagues, learners & service users
- Provision of stable management sessions
This job description is not exhaustive and other duties may be assigned from time to time in
accordance with the needs of the service. This job description may be revised to take account of changing circumstances and requirements.
Other Duties will include:
- Providing support and/or supervision in the Equestrian Yard
- Provision of Stable Management sessions
- To contribute to the overall strategic planning of Festina Lente
PERSON SPECIFICATION: The person appointed to this role will ideally meet the following requirements:
- Relevant third level qualification in social care or equivalent
- Suitable and relevant experience of working with horses
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience of working with young people in a supervisory capacity
- Experience with Equine Assisted Learning activities would be an advantage
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office essential
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
This position and contract is made available through the Community Services Programme, funded by the Department of Rural and Community Development and administered by Pobal. The Company’s current contract with Pobal will cease in December 2028 and all Pobal funded contracts will be subject to renewal at that time.
Salary: €28,000 - €33,000
Pension: Employees have access to PRSA scheme.
Annual Leave: Annual Leave will be 22 days per annum (pro rata). Entitlement to Public Holidays will be in accordance with the Working Time Act of 1997. Compulsory Leave must be taken at:
- July/August (School Holidays)
- Mid-term breaks
- Christmas (School Holidays)
The remaining annual leave must be taken during school holidays (mid-terms, Easter and July)
Working hours 39 hour working week Monday to Friday with a 60-minute unpaid lunch break at 1.00pm.
- Monday 9am – 5.30pm
- Tuesday 9am – 5.30pm
- Wednesday 9am – 5.30pm
- Thursday 9am – 6pm
- Friday 9am – 6.30pm
Travel & Subsistence:
A fleet of vehicles is available. However, there may be a requirement from time to time to travel in your own vehicle. If and when these occasions arise, expenses will be paid in accordance with Festina Lente travel rates
Location of the position
Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co. Wicklow. (Relocation to Kilpedder, Co. Wicklow in 2025/2026)
HOW TO APPLY
Closing Date for Applications: Wednesday 3rd January 2024
Informal enquiries can be made by email to Clodagh Carey,
Application forms can be found on our website http://festinalente.ie/about-us/job-vacancies/festina-lente-job-vacancy-application-form/ .
Interview date: TBC
The Interview will consist of two parts: The formal and first part of the interview will consist of a panel interview and the second part will be a practical assessment of your horsemanship skills.
Both parts are likely to take approximately 1 hour in total.
Please dress appropriately for the practical session. This clothing will be acceptable for the formal interview also.
Selection will involve short listing of applicants for interview based on the criteria for the position as outlined in this job description.
A file may be formed for future vacancies.
For Your Information:
- The position advertised is supported through Pobal. Pobal administer and manage Government and EU funding to address disadvantage and support social inclusion.
- Evidence of your eligibility for this position as laid down in Pobal Guidelines must accompany your application.
Qualifying Criteria for all applicants applying for CSP Supported Positions:
- Person in receipt of Jobseeker’s Benefit (JB), Jobseeker’s Assistance (JA), one parent family payment (OPF) or the Jobseeker Transitional Payment
- Persons in receipt of disability allowance (DA), invalidity pension, blind persons pension or other disability benefit.
- Travellers in receipt of Jobseeker’s Benefit or Jobseeker’s Assistance or one parent family benefit.
- Stabilised and recovering drug mis‐users.
- People employed from Tús, Gateway, Community Employment (CE) and Job Initiatives (JI) schemes are deemed eligible but cannot simultaneously hold a CSP and Tús/Gateway/CE/JI/RSS position. Former RSS workers who were previously CE participants are also eligible.
FESTINA LENTE CHILD PROTECTION POLICY / GARDA VETTING / MANDATORY DECLARATION
Garda Vetting for all employees and volunteers is compulsory and those candidates invited for interview will be asked to complete a Garda Vetting form for submission at that time.
Festina Lente is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes suitably qualified applicants from all sections of society